Sunday, May 31, 2009

Drowning in sorrow and Miller Lite

My beloved Brewers were swept this weekend. I drank a lot.

Also, my parents, sister, and future brother-in-law joined in the fun of a weekend of losses with the Brew Crew.

Which brings me to the point:
Loving loved ones' loved ones? Do we have to like our loved ones significant others? My sister has been dating C. for nearly 6 years. They bought a house together 4 years ago. I really think he's obnoxious and rude. (Coincidentally, WI BFF's boyfriend said he could easily be my brother because we're so much alike.)

So what is the obligation to love, like, or even tolerate our loved ones significant others? They are getting married in just over a year, so it looks like I'm stuck with him. At this point, I basically can continue to tolerate him and be snide after a few cocktails, or I can somehow actually open up to him and maybe understand why he won't let anyone finish a thought. Fight or Flight, Sink or Swim, Shit or Get off the Pot time.

The tough thing is that since I spend such a short amount of time with him, and so infrequently, due to the 300 miles between us, that when I do see him, I'm annoyed solely that he is there being rude during the time with my family that I also rarely get to see. Maybe that's the real issue at hand: Is it possible to resent someone for trying to join the family? Fact: he is rude. However, maybe that's what it really is about - me just being pissed that he's "taking away" my big sister.

Oh goodness I need therapy.

1 comment:

Kate Zingsheim said...

To clarify, you're only like C because of your loud volume. In which case, I am also very much like him. Together we can make ears bleed. Perhaps you do just resent him for sneaking in on your family time though. No one is cooler than your family, and he can't really live up to that.

Also, I love the Brewers, but hate ginger men on shrooms that try to bust in on the Brewers fun.