Friday, May 29, 2009

WikiWHAT?

Being a generation Y'er, I look for all life's solutions on the internet. Need a new job? Go to careerbuilder.com. Need a new roommate? Go to Craigslist (especially if you want your new roommate to murder you in your sleep!). Need to know something about your current ailment and/or stalker? Google that shit.

Now that I'm a little older and wiser than my previous life as a college undergrad, I now know not to trust WebMD to diagnose me with anything other than pregnancy or cancer (I was convinced I had cancer at least 14 times in my undergrad). I also know, working for TNPM, being a very specific national health organization, that people should rely on the experts for information. (for example, DONT go to WebMD if you seriously think you have cancer. Go to your f-ing doctor or at least visit a website that doesn't cite wikipedia).

Here's where I find my beef. I have had a migraine for 3 days. Of course, I googled "migraine" today at work when I could barely open my eyes wide enough to read the computer screen. I wasn't sure what I wanted for google results - but wikipedia was not on the top of my list. Yet, there it was under the two sponsored results for Tylenol and babysitting service (get it - migraine causes? haha I jest.) People are not a smart race, so I hereby petition that google puts some sort of "dumbass filter" on their search engine. For example, if you see that my past google history includes "donkey punch" and "cyborg mating", up goes the dumbass filter, so I am automatically routed to accredited informational websites. If I'm googling "neurophysics" and "grant applications", no need for the dumbass filter. You can probably rest assured that I'll be able to resist clicking Wikipedia and will look for the mayo clinic website.

No comments: