Sunday, May 17, 2009

Fur... LOW.

I have a 12 hour rule with work. If I get home at 10 pm, I am not allowed to be back to the office until after 10 am.

Guess how often I follow my own rule.

Let's just also be aware that TNPM has no written policy on "flex time" (as most companies don't - real world folks.) However, I will complain for just a minute... My average work day is 14 hours long. 4 days a week (Fridays are usually the typical 8 hours, unless I have an event - i.e. 26 hours). Not to mention my second job, where I generally do 10 hours on Saturday and/or Sunday, but that doesn't count.


So TNPM has instituted 4 furlough days this year. I totally get it. I would much rather have 4 unpaid days than to see any of my coworkers (or me, yikes) laid off. The problem is, when you work for an entity such as TNPM, a day without working or getting paid for it pretty much sets you back a day, and you wind up working those 8 hours in somewhere else because shit's gotta get done, but not getting paid because you're on salary. And like I'm really going to tell my volunteer who calls my cell phone at 9 am that I am on furlough and can't talk because I'm not getting paid. F that noise.

However, this weekend, I will not be answering phone calls from volunteers. NAY - the Brewers are in town and my folks are visiting for the game! I fully intend on showing them the awesomeness that is the MSP. Sans life-interrupting phone calls.

Ah yes, and I survived the big 2-5. I also kept my dignity, which is huge these days.

1 comment:

mmg said...

14 hour days? Isn't that illegal? It should be if it's not!