Monday, June 22, 2009

The "come to Jesus" moment

Just returned from a fabulous week with 400 13-year olds in Michigan. Long story short - one of TNPM (refresher - The Non-Profit Man - in this case, Men) that I work for is a church. I took 6 kids from my youth group on a mission trip to repair houses. It was fabulous for the following reasons:
1. I got to take a week and a half off work from the other NPM!
2. I had my first 15 passenger van driving experience. Let's just say we all survived.
3. I really love doing things like fixing houses. Who knew I could be such a savant with a skillsaw and a chalkline?

It was mediocre for the following reasons:
1. I got stressed out about not being at the other NPM.
2. The other adult chaperones and youth leaders on the trip thought I was in high school for most of it and I even got yelled at a few times for driving the van. Because they thought I was a kid. (trust me, this does not make sense, I look 30 at 25.)
3. I had a "come to Jesus" moment. This is not really a religious thing - more of a "make it or break it", "fight or flight", "shit or get off the pot" kind of thing. It wasn't a specific moment, so much as today I looked back on the week and that I have to go back to real work tomorrow and I cried because I can't handle another 70 hour work week.

Basically, I've started to resent the full time NPM gig. I truly love the org I work for, but I am really dreading the rest of this summer.
I only do the church NPM work about 10 hours per week. I'm really not sure if I'm ready to leave the full time stuff, but I feel as though my ulcers and migraines are begging me to make a change. I really like what I do at the church, but not sure if I could do it full time.

So here I am in my "come to Jesus" moment. Time for some decision making. Can someone please be in charge of my life decisions for a bit? A "life leash" if you will?

No comments: