Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Don't bite the hand that writes your letters of recommendation.

I work with college students who volunteer for TNPM.  Essentially, I am their advisor.  I write tons of letters of recommendation.  I get kids into law school, grad school, med school, get them scholarships, jobs, and new opportunities.  I am happy to do it.  I take my time, request resumes, statements of intent, and truly invest a few hours into the process.  I find it really gratifying to give back to students who give our organization so much of their time and talents.  On average, I write 50 a year.  I am sort of a content expert on the subject by now. With this, I provide a list of "how to get a good letter of recommendation" also know as "don't waste my fucking time":
1. Ask me in advance.
   - Everything should be to me at least 1 month in advance.  If you're giving me less than a month, I'm annoyed and will include my annoyance in your letter.
   - If I say no, you cannot be offended.  I either don't have time or I do not feel I could write you a positive letter of recommendation.  The latter is your fault.
2. Provide all the resources I need.
   - I shouldn't have to creep on your facebook to find out where you work.
3. Send me things in a concise manner.
   - If I receive 47 emails from each school you are attempting to get into (WOW how much did that cost you?), I expect a list of each school you need me to submit to.  If you expect me to monitor my inbox for these emails on a daily basis, you will get a shitty letter, as I am now completely annoyed with you.
5.  Reminders are ok.
   - I'm busy, you're busy, blah blah.  It's ok to send me a reminder, but do not send me a facebook message to check in on something you used my business email to communicate with me about.  At least pretend you are a professional.
4. Be grateful, you little shit.
   - This is not my job.  I do not get paid to write you these, and in fact, often do this on my own time.  At the very least, send me a damn thank you letter.  Hand written.  Even if you didn't get the job, scholarship, whatever.
   - Talk highly of our organization.  I'm giving you tools to be a successful human being, and when I see you giving public accolades to other (competing) organizations, I regret helping you.  Give us a fucking shout out too.

You're welcome. #leadershipdevelopment

No comments: