Sunday, January 16, 2011

Facebook is the best-ish.

I've been teetering close to having 1,000 facebook friends for a few months now.  I'm not sure how I feel about this milestone (whore or Miss Popular?  The age old high school dilemma), but I have a difficult time removing people as friends.  I also don't like to request people as friends unless we are actual friends (this term is subjective and may change on a daily basis.  I consider Clay Matthews and I actual friends).
However, I've noticed here and there some "de-friending" going on with me, and I won't say it doesn't make me wonder.  What did I do to be "de-friended"?  Did I post too often?  Were my rambling liberal views too much?  I am glad it hasn't happened in the hundreds, or I might be more concerned, lest I actually care.

However, 2 specific instances have left me wondering.  For one, a girl I was actual friends with in high school has defriended and re-requested me at least 3 times.  I didn't notice at first, and just had the thought, "oh, I thought we already were friends." accept.  "Oh, maybe when you get married you have to re-request everyone with your new name." accept.  NAY, now I am smarter and realized she must have commitment issues.  She has re-requested me 3 months ago, and is currently in facebook purgatory, as I just don't feel that I need to click accept quite yet.
The second instance is much less interesting, but is a matter of principle.  I noticed this guy had done some serious cleansing of his friends, so I truly wasn't offended that I didn't make the cut of his remaining 70 friends.  But the reality of it is - I think there should be precedence on facebook that if I there was ever genital to mouth contact between me and you in high school, the least you should do is let me be your facebook friend so I can creep on you anytime I want.  It's a matter of principle.

No comments: